In this podcast episode I bring you with me through every mile of this year’s New Orleans Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon.
You will hear the sounds of the course, tips, and the chatter in my head that helped me get through the tough later miles. It’s the most unusual race recap we’ve ever put together.
Be sure to check out my pictures too!
The 2016 New Orleans Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon
The Tips from the Course . . .
I brought my digital recorder along and shared a tip each mile (whatever came into my mind at the moment, nothing was premeditated). In the later miles it’s funny to see where my headspace was and what I had to tell myself. It was a warm day and I was definitely feeling the pain during the last six miles. Of course, it didn’t help that I went into this marathon under-trained due to laziness.
- Don’t start too fast!
- It’s awkward to talk to your digital recorder while running!
- Don’t fixate on your bladder.
- Run the tangents.
- It takes about 3-5 miles to finally settle into the run
- Practice preemptive electrolyte replenishment. I used Hammer Endurolytes.
- Drink to thirst.
- Watch your pace continually.
- Remember to have fun. You’re doing this for your health!
- Push out the negative thoughts!
- Run your own race.
- Stick to the shade
- Lie to yourself continually
- Shake out your arms and pay attention to your form
- The miles go by quick when you’re trying to think of tips!
- Have a really rocking playlist.
- Don’t overdress!
- Walking is just about as hard as running after mile 18.
- Forget that last tip. Taking a walk break feels good!
- Bring a snack and hold unto it until you need it.
- Pick the last six miles apart one mile at a time.
- Never run a marathon!
- Ignore that last tip.
- It hurts right now but pretty soon it will all be a dream.
- Make sure you know what mile it is!
- Push hard to a strong finish!
I’m glad to have finished my 11th marathon (2nd NOLA Marathon). This event attracted 3,640 full marathoners, 11,579 half marathoners, and 2,617 10k’ers.
I highly recommend this marathon for anyone looking for a flat, fun, and beautiful course in an amazing American city.
Bonus tip: Try the fried oysters, your life will never be the same!
Also Mentioned in This Episode
ThermaRoller – the most effective rolling product on the market. Trevor used this product to help him recover from his Achilles tendonitis. By combining heat therapy, cold therapy, and pressure massage, ThermaRoller can turn any standard foam roller into a dynamic 3 in 1 recovery system. It is a must have for any athlete or those who suffer from chronic pain. And, as a MTA subscriber, save 50% off your order! Go to thermaroller.com and used the coupon code MTA50 to save 50%.