You will learn about the dangers of over-hydration (hyponatremia), the brain’s Central Governor, the real reason we slow down in the marathon, and how the Banting Diet (low carb eating) caught fire in South Africa.
Questions for Tim Noakes
Tim Noakes was born in 1949 and is an emeritus professor in the Division of Exercise Science and Sports Medicine at the University of Cape Town, South Africa. His books include The Lore of Running, Waterlogged, Challenging Beliefs, and Real Meal Revolution.
- How did you get interested in studying the science behind running?
- You have run over 70 marathons and ultramarathons throughout your career, what does your running look like today?
- What are some of the ways your thinking has changed over the last 30+ years of research?
- Tell us about the Central Governor Theory of Fatigue.
- What causes runners to slow down in the later miles of a marathon?
- Tell us about Real Meal Revolution. What led you to co-author this book and how has it been received?
- What led you to change your mind about carbs?
Also Mentioned in This Episode
The Noakes Foundation website: www.thenoakesfoundation.org
Angie’s Fat Adapted Eating Plan for cutting out sugars and grains from your diet.
Health IQ -Marathon Training Academy is sponsored by Health IQ an insurance company that helps health conscious people get special rates on life insurance. Go to healthiq.com/mta to support the show and learn more.
Aftershokz Bone Conduction Headphones. Use the code “MTA” at check out to receive 15% off!